Feedlot Cattle Welfare Hits Youtube25 November 2013
AUSTRALIA - Online videos are communicating messages of the importance of cattle welfare through the feedlot system.
Through its sustainable cattle initiative, Target 100, Meat and Livestock Australia, along with the Australian Lot Feeders' Association illustrated industry compliance with the 'Five Freedoms' principles of welfare through the beef finishing system.
The videos start with an introduction to the Five Freedoms by Professor Andrew Fisher, Melbourne University’s Chair of Cattle and Sheep Production Medicine.
They feature interviews with feedlot managers and a feedlot veterinarian, who discuss how they apply the principles when caring for cattle.
The Five Freedoms
1. Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain health and vigour.
2. Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by rapid diagnosis and treatment.
4. Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
5. Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment that avoid mental suffering.
You can view the first video in the series by clicking here.
TheCattleSite News Desk