DRIVING SUSTAINABILITY IN BEEF AND DAIRY PRODUCTION AND SUPPLY.
BEEF & DAIRY SUSTAINABILITY
Improving efficiency represents livestock production's biggest challenge as the world's climate, resources and human population dynamics pressurise agriculture.
GLOBAL - Dennis Laycraft, executive vice president of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association, has been elected as the 2016 president of the Global Roundtable...
ANALYSIS – The Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef (GRSB) recently met in Amsterdam with 75 members from across the food chain representing 28 organisations...
The beef sector is faced with a dilemma of reducing each animal's environmental farm-to-fork 'hoofprint', while making sure no sacrifice is made to the quantity or quality of beef. This dilemma stems from a growing world population and increasing affluence which is driving demand for red meats and animal proteins.
To be more sustainable, beef production needs to address the 3 Es:
Environment – it's where we live, our surroundings and our ultimate source of life – through the air we breathe, the water we drink the food we eat, and the raw materials we consume.
Ethics – it provides a framework for critical analysis of the values, attitudes and reasons underlying the decisions we make every day that affect people and animals.
Economics – More than just profits. It is the way society assigns, creates and exchanges value.
- Managing natural resources responsibly and improve and protect the environment
- Minimizing beef's carbon footprint
- Water: Growing more with less
- Providing for the health, welfare and behavioural needs of your animals
- Ensuring food safety and traceability
- Respecting human and labor rights while providing a healthy work place and fair treatment
- Operating your business with integrity
- Reducing GHG Emissions from Livestock: Best Practices and Emerging Options
- Communicating Beef Production Sustainability - What Messages Resonate?
- SAI’s Principles for Sustainable Beef Farming
- Guidelines for Good Agricultural Practices
- Does Pasture Management Affect the Environment?
- Effect of Antimicrobials on Soil and Water
- Effect of Feeding Ethanol Byproducts on Manure Nutrient Levels
- Do Distillers' Grains Affect Beef Quality?
- How Does Forage Finishing Affect Product Quality?
- Antimicrobial Use and Resistance in Feedlot Cattle
- Could We Take Growth-Enhancing Technologies Away from US Beef?
- Global Agenda for Sustainable Livestock
- Beef Production and Consumption: Sustainable Alternatives
- Tackling Climate Change Through Livestock – Emissions and Mitigation Opportunities
- Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef: Defining Global Sustainable Beef
- Principles for Sustainable Beef Farming: Sustainable Agriculture Initiative
- Beef's Shrinking Environmental Footprint
- Beef Sustainability: Meeting Growing Demand
Dr Bob Carling writes about the influential ideas of economist Nicholas Stern on the value that we place on biodiversity....
Saskatchewan cattle producer, Neil Dennis is sometimes called an “Extreme Grazer”, and there’s no doubt that he is Western Canada’s foremost expert...
Interest in growing in grazing systems that combine livestock and trees - or silvopasture. ...