TheBeefSite Recipe Section
Beef Stew with Guinness
Ingredients (6 -8 servings)1Â½ kg (3 lbs) lean stewing beef
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
2-3 carrots into 2" strips lenghtways
1 small turnip (or swede) cut onto Â¾" cubes
Groundnut oil for cooking
1 tinny (330ml) Guinness (or stout beer)
3 tablespoons plain flour
2 tbls tomato puree
1 OXO (beef stock) cube
Â½ tsp chilli powder
Freshly ground pepper
Sprig of thyme
Preparation1. Trim the meat removing any fat or gristle and cut into 2" (5cm) chunks.
2. Mix the flour, salt, pepper and chilli powder in a bowl.
3. Toss the meat in the seasoned flour and coat well.
Cooking4. Heat some oil (2 tbls) in a large heavy frying pan over a high heat and fry the meat until it is nice and brown on all sides. If your frying pan is not very big do this in batches. Place the browned meat (and any liquid) in a casserole dish.
5. Add a little more oil (1 tbls) to the pan and fry the onions, carrots, turnip (swede) for a few minutes.
6. Add the garlic to the pan and fry for a further minute or so. When the onions are starting to brown transfer to the casserole dish.
7. Add the Guinness (stout) and tomato puree to the frying pan and bring to a simmer. Add the stock cube and mix well ensuring all the caramalised juices on the frying pan disolve. Pour into the casserole dish.
8. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little salt if necessary.
9. Place the lid on the casserole dish and put into a pre-heated oven at 300Â°F (180Â°C, Gas Mark 5) for 2 to 3 hours.