COLOMBIA - The Colombian Agricultural Institute, ICA, and the Government of Santander, through the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, has signed a $1,200 million agreement to certify farms free from bovine tuberculosis in 10 municipalities of García Rovira.
This will see about 4,489 farms in the municipalities of the Province of García Rovira as Cerrito, Concepción, Carcasí, Málaga, San Miguel, Enciso, Molagavita, Macaravita, San José Miranda and Capitanejo certified bovine TB free.
"The Institute is implementing the national programme for the eradication of bovine tuberculosis, gradually moving the declaration of land free from the disease, in accordance with the provisions of Resolution 1513 of 2004," said Luis Humberto Martínez Lacouture, CEO of ICA.
He added: "It is necessary to join efforts to combat tuberculosis – a zoonotic disease affecting bovines among other animals and which is transmitted to humans through consumption of raw milk or dairy products. This partnership with the government of Santander will allow us to move forward in that purpose."
García Rovira province is characterized by a dairy industry with 76,985 animals in 6,230 farms.
According to José Alejandro Gil Corzo, Secretary of Agriculture and Rural Development Santander: "The current milk production in the Province of García Rovira amounts to 80,000 litres per day, but 80 per cent is sold through formal channels for processing dairy products in Bucaramanga and other regions of the country, while the remaining 20 per cent is sold by informal channels or transformed directly on the farm."
García Rovira province and the municipality of Santa Barbara were declared free from bovine brucellosis several years and this was achieved through the efforts of ICA, the Government of Santander and producers in the region.
"This statement of farms free of tuberculosis contributes to producing the best health conditions for the production of milk and the profitability of their activity, thus improving their income," said the CEO of ICA, Luis Humberto Martínez Lacouture.
The ICA will contribute 600 million pesos to the project in various ways and the governorship of Santander will also provide 600 million pesos.
TheCattleSite News Desk