TheBeefSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the beef industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread April 27th, 2010, 22:05

Smile False pregnancies

Hi cow people, Have a 3 yr. old Holstein / Charlais x heifer. She is lactating, has been since Feb. , not really bagged up but showing some signs of pregnancy. Can't seem to punch a calf in her , she doesn't look really big enough visually , but then again she is a big tall long heifer. I guess my Question is can heifers go thru false pregnancies? We are just hobby farmers so aren't really in the position to have her vet checked. Just curious. Thanks to any and all:
Unread April 28th, 2010, 10:34
Super Moderator

Hi 4TAcres,
Welcome to the forum !
False heats can and do happen of course although when they do it is usually a sign of something wrong somewhere. She could be 'cystic' [Ovarian or follicular] or else have a uterine infection amongst a few of the possibilities.
However, with infection you would see signs of a discharge that sort of thing.
Do you have a bull or other cow at all, some cows present with false heats when kept on their own, in such cases it's more of a mental state than physical.
Do you know how to do a rectal examination ? These are quite easy to do and can be so useful, might be worth you going on an AI course to give you the confidence.
There's not a lot more I can say without seeing your girl for myself sorry.

Hobby farmers or not there may come a time when you really do need a vet, if this is completely outside your financial status you really do need to reconsider your future.
When you take on a cow, or any livestock for that matter you have a responsibility to ensure that they are cared for to the best of your ability and that means that sometimes they will need a vet or other form of treatment, if this is beyond you I urge you to think again.
Kind regards,
Jon