TheBeefSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the beef industry

Go Back   TheCattleSite Discussion Forum > Beef Cattle Health/Welfare
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread February 13th, 2012, 14:46

Default Update

Jon, just wanted to let you know how things are going. Her legs have straightened out! (pic) And she's drinking out of the bucket now (thank goodness!) She is nibbling on grass in the pigs pen. I cant put her in with the other cows, the donkey seems to pick on the babies, and she's got no one to protect her, but the sow on the other hand could care less. We have starter grain in her pen at all times, though she's less then impressed with it. So, with her being outside and having access to the grass and some hay and water, I'm hoping she'll pick up soon enough.

Thank you for your words of wisdom on her legs and feedings so far, they have helped greatly!
Unread February 13th, 2012, 16:41
Super Moderator

Default Good job !

Kitty,
Thank you so much for sharing your calf & her story with us all, I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been hoping that she would come good.
I see a very different calf to the 1st photo you sent in, she is never going to be 100% as I've said before but should suit your purpose, she is a real credit to all your hard work, well done !
You can see from her top-line that she needs to put on weight but that will come, once she comes up to post-weaning & is out at grass you'll soon see a difference.
If it was me I couldn't put her in the freezer after spending all that time on her but I'm just a big softy & it's easy for me to say.
I wish you both all the very best & hope you will send us another photo in a few months, I'd love to see her at about 6 months of age if possible.
Take care & all the very best !
Jon & the Cattlesite Team
Unread April 4th, 2012, 14:59

Default Just an Update

Hi Jon, just wanted to send some pics along. Muffin is doing good, though I think not having moms milk may have stunted her growth. She's out in pasture with the land owners cows now, and one of them adopted her, and that cow also had a calf that Muffin is best friends with now. The calf was born about a month ago, and is already bigger then Muffin is. Its funny though, those two are in-separable! The rest of the herd could be across the pasture, but these 2 will not leave eachothers side. Muffin is the only one you can ever touch though, everyone else wont let you near them unless there is grain involved, though Muffin still wont eat that stuff. She will let us scratch her and pet her, and licks us when we hit the spot on her neck, must feel good. I hope she stops the licking though... i dont want a huge cows tongue to touch me when she's older LOL. She comes a little bit to us when we go out there, but most of the time, we have to walk up to her. Pretty (mama cow) has really taken to her, got a little upset with us for touching Muffin yesterday. Precious (the other calf) is curious about us, but wont come too close to us, but refuses to go far from Muffin. Its rather funny. Anyways, Here's some pics Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3
Unread April 5th, 2012, 17:51
Super Moderator

Hi Kitty,
Thank you so much for sharing her story with us & letting us see her both before & after. We knew she was never going to be a prize winner & so what if she's not, she's a little miracle who had a very bad start in life & deserves to enjoy the time she has left.
Maybe I'm a softy but I kept a heifer for over 3 years even though I knew she would never breed, I falsified records did everything to keep her, I had to hand-rear her & spent several nights sleeping in the straw next to her after she was rejected by her mother after a difficult calving & there was no-way I could part with her after weeks of nursing her through several bad infections.
There must be some way you can let her live out her life, I mean how much does a little lady like her eat, not a lot & let her bring joy into your lives & when she passes naturally then think about the freezer ?
Easy for me to say I don't have your bills to pay but whatever you decide I know you'll make sure she has a great life with you & your family.
Take care & god bless you all !
Jon
Unread August 2nd, 2012, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeking
The calf maybe has a lack of some vitamins. Make sure that you supply it with right supplements.

Question's already been answered, apparently.
Unread September 28th, 2012, 15:36

Default Just an update

Figured i would post this. She's getting there. She now leads all the calves around. She comes to her name now too